Here’s a quick and healthy vegan recipe for one of my favorite salads. It’s great for lunch on its own, or as an appetizer before a soup or lighter meal. Instead of quinoa, you can use other grains like couscous or bulgar, or use the dressing, avocado and tomato on fresh greens, like spinach or arugula.
It’s also nice because in colder months you can serve the salad on warm quinoa. Warm salads are great!
This dressing of course also works very well for simple sprout salads, on endives, or all kinds of other salads and greens, simple and exotic. Experiment, enjoy, and feel good! You deserve it.
Quinoa Tomato Avocado Salad with Carrot Ginger Sesame Dressing
serves 3 to 4 / time 30 min
- 1 cup / 180 g quinoa
- 2 cups / 480 ml water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 avocado chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- mixed sprouts for garnish
Carrot Ginger Sesame Dressing:
- 1 carrot peeled, chopped
- 1/2 in / 1 cm fresh ginger chopped
- 1/4 cup / 30 g sunflower seeds toasted or soaked, ground
- 2 Tbs sesame seeds toasted or soaked, ground
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 Tbs agave syrup
- 1 Tbs soy sauce
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Bring 2 cups water to boil in a small pot. Add salt and quinoa. Cover, steam for 15-20 min. Remove from heat, fluff with fork. Cover, let sit for 10 min.
- Blend all dressing ingredients in food processor, adding water last and adjusting to desired consistency.
- Arrange cooked quinoa on plates, followed by chopped tomatoes and avocado.
- Pour on dressing and garnish with sprouts or fresh herbs.