Hey, I’m Justin P. Moore! I was born and raised in the United States and the Marshall Islands. I work as an artist, designer, and translator and have been based in Berlin, Germany since 2001. For many years I have worked extensively with art galleries, travel and tourism companies, and internet start-ups. In 2012, I shifted my professional focus almost exclusively to artistic and culinary projects in the vegan and travel communities.
I’ll be posting recipes, stories, photography, and artwork about my years in kitchens around the world. Some are recipes converted from traditional cuisines, some are experiments, many are trusty standbys which I’ve worked with since going vegetarian in 1990 and then vegan in 1992.
My travels have brought me to over 50 countries, through many kitchens, hundreds of meals from street carts, generous families, fancy and not-so-fancy restaurants. I pick up and work with new foods, techniques and flavors wherever I go.
In October 2012, I ran a successful Kickstarter campaign to fund my vegan cookbook project. The first edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke cookbook was printed in December 2012. (Here’s where to order the cookbook in English).
In June 2013, the German edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke was published and I joined publishing partners, Ventil Verlag and Edition Kochen ohne Knochen in Germany.
In 2014, I published my second vegan cookbook, The Lotus and the Artichoke – MÉXICO after three months of exploring and living in Mexico, mostly in the small west coastal village of Lo de Marcos.
Following a 10 week journey all across Sri Lanka, in 2015 I published my third cookbook of recipes inspired by travels, The Lotus and the Artichoke – SRI LANKA.
After 5 weeks in Malaysia, Singapore, and Borneo I created my fourth cookbook, The Lotus and the Artichoke – MALAYSIA, which came out in 2016. The same year I spent 3 weeks in Kashmir and Ladakh in India – I trekked in the Himalayas, stayed with families in local villages on houseboats and high in the mountains, and cooked, photographed, and researched for future projects.
In 2017, I backpacked around Southeast Asia again, this time for 6 weeks visiting Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar (Burma.)
In addition to constantly cooking, creating, and photographing new recipes, I travel regularly around Germany and the world offering cooking shows, cooking classes, and dinner events featuring recipes from my cookbooks and stories from my travel adventures.
Justin P. Moore
The Lotus and the Artichoke
- April 2012: www.lotusartichoke.com & The Lotus and the Artichoke – Facebook go online
- Aug 2012: The Lotus and the Artichoke vegan cookbook crowdfunding project on Kickstarter
- Dec 2012: 1st English edition (1000) of The Lotus and the Artichoke – Vegan Recipes from World Adventures
- May 2013: 1st German edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke – Vegane Rezepte eines Reisenden and 2nd English edition published with Ventil Verlag / Edition Kochen ohne Knochen.
- Oct 2013: The Lotus and the Artichoke nominated by VEBU (German Vegetarian Association) for Best Cookbook of the Year 2013; wins a spot in the TOP 10!
- Jan-March 2014: 3 months in Mexico
- May 2014: 2nd German edition of The Lotus and the Artichoke – Vegane Rezepte eines Reisenden published
- Sept 2014: Germany Tour with The Vegan Zombie – Cooking demos, dinner parties, cookbook signings & other events in 9 cities in 11 days
- Oct 2014: 3rd printing of The Lotus and the Artichoke in German
- Nov 2014: The Lotus and the Artichoke – MEXICO published in German & English
- Jan-March 2015: 10 weeks in Sri Lanka
- Nov 2015: 1st English & German editions of The Lotus and the Artichoke – SRI LANKA published
- Jan-Feb 2016: 5 weeks in Malaysia, Borneo & Singapore
- Sept-Oct 2016: 3 weeks in Kashmir & Ladakh, India
- Oct 2016: The Lotus and the Artichoke – MALAYSIA published in German & English
- Dec 2016: Fourth printing of The Lotus and the Artichoke in German
- Jan-March 2017: 6 weeks in Southeast Asia – Thailand, Laos, Myanmar (Burma)