German Lebkuchen - Traditional Christmas Cookies
makes 12-14 / time 45 min
- 2/3 cup / 100 g almonds ground
- 2/3 cup / 100 g hazelnuts ground
- 2/3 cup / 150 g sugar
- 1/3 cup / 50 g flour
- 3 Tbsn soy flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 Tbsn apricot or orange marmelade
- 1/4 cup / 25 g candied lemon peel (Zitronat) or dried figs finely chopped
- 1/4 cup / 25 g candied orange peel (Orangeat) or dried dates finely chopped
- pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 to 14 baking wafers (70 mm)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon ground
- 1/4 tsp cardamom ground
- 1/4 tsp cloves ground
- pinch black pepper ground
- pinch nutmeg ground
- 2 Tbsn cocoa powder OPTIONAL
- Orange zest, almonds, hazelnuts, candied orange and lime peel
- In a medium bowl, mix soy flour, sugar, marmalade, water well until mixture is smooth.
- In a food processor, chop candied orange and lemon peels or dates and figs very finely. (If using dates and figs, add 1/2 Tbsn orange zest + 1/2 Tbsn lemon zest.)
- In a large bowl, mix ground nuts, flour, salt, vanilla, and spice mix. Add contents of other bowl and chopped peels or dried fruit. Mix well to form smooth and moist dough.
- Refrigerate 1 hr, or preferably, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F / 190°C / level 5.
- Line baking tray with baking paper. Top a baking wafer with a heaping tablespoon of dough. Press down to form round and mostly flat cookies. Repeat with rest of the dough and wafers. Place well-spaced on baking tray. No baking wafers? Form flat and round cookies with a spoon and place directly on baking paper.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Note: Cookies will still be soft and similar shape when done.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool.
3 types of icing:
- 2 oz / 50 g dark chocolate
- Melt chocolate in medium pot set into larger pot of hot water.
- Apply melted chocolate with spoon or baking brush on cooled cookies. Garnish carefully, let cookies dry.
- 3 Tbsn water
- 2 Tbsn sugar
- Mix water and sugar in small pot on medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Brush on/pour over with spoon on cooled cookies. Garnish carefully, let cookies dry.
- 3 Tbs powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs coconut milk or soy cream
- Whisk powdered sugar and coconut milk or soy milk in small bowl. Mix well until thick and creamy, adding sugar or liquid as needed.
- Spread icing over cookies with spoon to fully cover. Garnish carefully, let cookies dry.